Mar 21

Roman Spring

The statement that the Romans were aware of Vrnjci mineral waters and that they used them was already made by Felix Kanic, in his travel - record "Studying Roman Monuments in the Kingdom of Serbia" written at the end of 19th century. He states that the thermal springs were situated south of the castrum in the village Gračac, but during the process of impoundment and landscaping, in the 19th century, there were no visible remains on the ground or those working on the spot were not able to recognize them.

The traces of the Roman times were discovered quite accidentally when the hot springs were being impounded in spring 1924. Then, at the depth of 2.40 m, a vertical properly carved rock, with an opening out of which hot mineral water was flowing, was found. Near the hot spring in the old Roman spring 200 Roman coins belonging to the period from the Augustian rule to that of Valentian were found. Directly next to the Roman spring, at the approximately same depth, the remains of the first known bathing pool were discovered. The pool was filled with the hot mineral water running from the separate spring that was carved in a rock in the form of a small well. Sixty Roman coins, dating back from the end of 1st until the second half of the 4th century, one ring and one key were discovered in the well.

The water of this spring was impounded separately because it had lower temperature and had less minerals than other springs’ waters discovered in 1924. The spring was arranged, two colonnades of small marble pillars, either one ending with a candelabrum, were set up. One could reach the spring going down the stairs from both sides of the spring. After the Second World War, this spring was covered with concrete slabs and thus hidden from public sight. It was revived again in 1989, when a glass pyramid was put over the spring following the general design of the architect Mihajlo Mitrović.

El. pošta Štampa PDF
:: Contact information ::

(C) 2018 Tourist Organisation Of Vrnjačka Banja